Today's progressive parents pay a lot of attention to the development of children literally from birth. And the Montessori method remains one of the favorite approaches of moms, dads and educators. Fortunately, in order to develop a child using the Montessori method, it is not necessary to look for a specialized kindergarten or children's club. It is quite possible to arrange it at home as well, but it is necessary to organize a special "Montessori environment" for games and adhere to the basic principles of teaching.
The main principles of the Montessori method
- In general, the technique is designed for children from 2-3 years, but some elements of learning can be introduced in games with infants and one-year-old kids.
- A child must learn to be independent. He chooses what, how, with whom and for how long to play - an adult should not impose the rules and conditions of the game.
- Also, the adult should not solve problems for the baby, it's better to give him the opportunity to cope with problems himself.
- If several children play at once, they must follow the rules: do not make noise and do not interfere with others, do not take away toys (who first took it, and he plays).
- After the game, the child should carefully put the toys back.
What is the Montessori methodology aimed at? It perfectly develops motor skills, speech, mathematical ideas, teaches a child to understand cause-effect relationships, teaches household skills. The only disadvantage of Maria Montessori program is the lack of movement games and creative tasks, which kids love so much, so you have to think about this part of the developmental activities separately.
Montessori environment at home for developing skills
The main condition for the harmonious development of the child according to the Montessori method - properly organized game environment. No creative turmoil, Lego pieces on the carpet and plasticine under the pillow (we also think that it is boring, but alas). The nursery should be orderly, so you definitely need a clever storage system where your child can put their own toys and materials. A low shelving unit with containers is ideal.
What toys should you choose so that they fit into the Montessori concept?
Give preference to durable toys made of natural materials. They should not be the simplest, so that the baby has something to think about. Many different parts, multifunctional toys, non-trivial games and tasks are welcome. At our Montessori.Store there is a large selection of just such, environmentally friendly and clever toys and games that are perfect for developmental activities using the Montessori method.
The next step is zoning. The room or play space should be divided into several thematic zones: according to Montessori's idea, this way it is easier for the child to orientate and choose what he or she wants to do.
The practical zone will help children to master household skills: sweeping the floor with a broom and shovel, buttoning and unbuttoning buttons and zippers, tying shoelaces, cutting vegetables, and so on.
All kinds of shoelaces, Busyboards, play sets of dishes and household items are suitable for this zone.
- In the sensory zone, there are objects that differ in shape, size, color and weight. Games with these toys are aimed at the development of motor skills, tactile sensations, memory and attention.
Buy balls of different materials, different sizes and colors, cubes, pyramids, balancers, sorters. In addition, it is useful to make sensory boxes, filling them with different cereals, beads, acorns and cones, buttons, sand, pebbles and other sensory material.
- Games in the math area should help your baby learn how to count, get acquainted with mathematical symbols and geometric shapes.
- In the language zone, kids will learn letters and syllables, expand their vocabulary. For this zone, you will need a toy alphabet, cubes with syllables, sets of toy animals and the like.
- The space zone introduces children to the laws of nature and gives the first ideas about physics, chemistry, space, wildlife, humans, the peoples of the world, culture and ecology.
For the youngest children, this zone is worth placing figurines of birds and animals, containers with sand, water and stones for games and experiments. Older preschoolers will be interested to consider maps, a globe, an image of the starry sky, models of planets, collections of stones and minerals.
When the game environment is ready, feel free to launch your child into it and observe (you remember that you don't need to interfere, right?). Another pleasant bonus of the Montessori method - while your child is actively developing, you can leisurely sip your morning coffee. Especially if the rule of putting away toys is already mastered.
And in any case, no matter what method of developing your child's skills you have chosen, do not forget that play is the leading activity for preschool kids. That means that it is games and toys that will allow the child to develop harmoniously, to learn about the world and, what is most important, to spend time with their loved ones. Psychologists say that no developmental activities in clubs and kindergartens will not replace playing with parents. And what do you think your child's skills may help to develop?